Sunday 3 September 2017

This is how it is tonight

The nights are hard, but the nights before big days are hardest. Tonight I have put a child to bed excited to dream her last dreams as a seven year old: tomorrow she will wake for the first time as an eight. Many times tomorrow she will miss him here, but the excitement and novelty of a birthday will outride her emotional anxieties. There will be presents and pancakes, school giggles and attention. There is comfort in her joy, but beside there is a huge, yawning void, a space no ribbons can fill, a hole of the saddest kind growing each year in depth and intensity. She was five when he died and that was three years ago.


I stare into this hole alone; I cannot delight in these days. It is all too sad. He is not here to share with me the joy in our daughter being eight and everything that is eight. She is so different to the girl she was the last time he saw her and yet she is exactly the same. She is not mine, she is ours, and he is ours, yet he isn’t. Birthdays leave me numb, grateful for the rhythm of the routine, I fall in with the beat and I breathe and I move, I do everything in my power to make her feel as special as she is. I know how lucky we are to have her, this creation of ours, this extraordinary child and her extraordinary sister. I know she will wish on her birthday candles for her dad to come back. Will she still wish as hard as the magic in childhood fades with age? I feel the longing to have him here with us redouble each year.

Now I assemble the presents (drum pads, a Venus fly trap), and prepare for the pancakes (Nutella of course, and strawberries). But also now I share my sorrow with the darkness of this rainy night and say Keith, my love: I wish you were here.

8 comments:

  1. Thinking of you all today especially and sending you love. Rachel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. my heart breaks for you and your girls. I wish he could be with you. huge hugs as always Hel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Epilepsy,Hepatitis,Parkinson disease.Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate your professional approach.These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to dr.ezomo for his good work I never believe that ALS has cure, I was ALS over 3 year now before I came across a comment about how
    dr.ezomo cure ALS and herpes disease but when I saw it i have it in mind
    that he cant cure ALS I just decided to give it a try I contact him that
    night luckily to me he replied me, but I dont believe him I thought it was
    a scam but I still hold on to see the work of Dr ezomo if he is saying the
    truth he ask for some details about me i gave him all he needed and I
    waited to see his reply to my problem after all, he told me to go for check
    up and I went for HIV test I cant believe I was negative,am so happy and
    grateful to God for using Dr ezomo to cure me, that is the reason why i
    decided to write this wonderful testimony of our i was cured, i recommend
    Dr ezomo to you all around the world,contact him on his Email dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number+2349069171173
    dr.ezomo for helping me at this young age if you need help contact,
    He can also cure so many sickness

    ReplyDelete
  6. Friend, this web site might be fabolous, i just like it.
    Customized Gifts Online in India

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Helen. Still holding the nut bag years of working with your husband close to my heart. It did change a lot of us. Merry Christmas. I kind of always saw your husband as the John Lennon of BBC Sport. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great article..I am looking so forward to your blogcomment and
    I love your page on your post.. That is so pretty..
    slotxo

    ReplyDelete